If you know me then you know I walk the tightrope of being labeled a jerk because sometimes people feel picked on when in essence I am poking them in the direction toward their greatness. While I know that it’s human nature to make mistakes and miss out on the “softer” ways to poke, I also believe that it’s also about understanding one’s intention.
The next time you feel picked on, take a moment to ask.
- Why is he/she sharing this?
- What outcome is he/she hoping for?
- What emotions am I experiencing?
- Do his/her intentions align with his/her core values?
- Is there an outcome, response, or lack of response that will hurt his/her feelings?
- Is this sharing in the service of connection?
No more lecturing from me. 😉